Emotional violence occurs when someone says or does something to make a person feel stupid or worthless.
Emotional violence includes, but is not limited to:
- Name calling;
- Blaming all relationship problems on the person;
- Using silent treatment;
- Not allowing the person to have contact with family and friends;
- Destroying possessions;
- Humiliating or making fun of the person;
- Intimidating the person; causing fear to gain control;
- Threatening to hurt oneself if the person does not cooperate;
- Threatening to abandon the person; and,
- Threatening to have the person deported (if they are an immigrant).